A hearty dish to warm you up on a January evening.
- 450g frozen chopped spinach, defrosted & well-drained
- 2 bunches flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 250g good quality feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tsp dill or thyme
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup sliced almonds, roasted
For the Crust:
- 450g filo pastry sheets, defrosted
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, more if needed
- Preheat the oven to 160 C degrees.
- Before beginning mixing the filling, be sure the spinach is very well-drained, and squeeze out any excess liquid.
- To make the filling: In a mixing bowl, add the spinach and the remaining filling ingredients, (except the almonds). Stir until all is well-combined.
- Unroll the phyllo (filo) sheets and place them between two slightly damp kitchen cloths.
- Prepare a 9″ X 13″ baking dish. Brush the bottom and sides of the dish with olive oil.
- To assemble: Line the baking dish with two sheets of filo letting them cover the sides of the dish. Brush with olive oil. Add two more sheets in the same manner and brush them with olive oil. Repeat until two-thirds of the filo is used up.
- Now, sprinkle some almonds on the bottom and evenly spread the spinach and feta filling over the filo crust. Top with two more sheets, and brush with olive oil.
- Continue to layer the filo sheets, two-at-a-time, brushing with olive oil, until you have used up all the sheets. Brush the very top layer with olive oil, and sprinkle with just a few drops of water and sliced almonds if you wish.
- Fold the flaps or excess from the sides. Brush the folded sides well with olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until the filo crust is crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Finish with a sprinkle of flaky salt and drizzle of honey if desired. Serve with a beautiful salad. Enjoy!