Monday's dinner recipe on the OT Veggie Meal Plan.
Serves: 2 (each serving contains approximately 430 kcal)
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red chilli
- 300g baby new potatoes
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil (15g)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 5g fresh chives
- salt (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F / gas mark 6. Peel the onion, then cut in half and thinly slice. Peel and crush the garlic. Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds and cores, then thinly slice.
- Cut the chilli in half and take out the seeds with a teaspoon, then finely chop the flesh.
- Steam the potatoes for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the oil and then tip in the onion, garlic, peppers and chilli and sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened and just starting to catch a little colour.
- Stir in the oregano, cumin with the chopped tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until the peppers are completely tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Make four holes in the pepper mixture using the back of a wooden spoon just large enough to fit the eggs, then crack one into each hole. Season lightly with salt (optional) and pepper to taste, then cover with a lid.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until the whites of the eggs are set but the yolks are still runny. Snip over the chives and divide evenly between two plates with the new potatoes to serve.
The vegetable stew can be made up to 3 days in advance and put in the fridge within 2 hours of cooking in an airtight container. Reheat gently only once over a gentle heat with a splash of water to loosen it before adding in the eggs to cook.