Monday's dinner on the Operation Transformation meal plan.
Serves: 2 (each serving contains approximately 500 kcal)
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ small red onion
- 10g baby spinach leaves
- 20g Cheddar cheese
- 400g tin black beans (240g drained)
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil (15g)
- 45g tinned kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- ¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 200g tin chopped tomatoes (or ½ regular tin)
- 2 wholemeal wraps
- 2 tablespoons salsa (shop-bought)
- salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and crush the garlic. Peel the onion and finely chop. Shred the spinach and finely grate the Cheddar cheese.
- Drain the black beans into a sieve in the sink and rinse under cold running water. Drain well – you need 240g in total.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the garlic, onion, black beans, previously drained and rinsed kidney beans and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the chilli flakes and then pour in the chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil and season lightly with salt (optional) and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes until slightly reduced and piping hot, stirring occasionally.
- Wipe the frying pan clean and place back on a medium heat. Add the wholemeal wraps for 10-15 seconds on each side. Put each one on a plate.
- Divide the bean mixture between them and top each one with the grated Cheddar, spinach and salsa, before tucking in the ends and folding into a burrito shape. Cut each one in half and arrange on plates to serve.
The bean mixture can be made in advance, left to cool and put in the fridge within 2 hours of cooking for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Reheat only once in the microwave or in a saucepan over a gentle heat when needed. The burritos also would be good served cold packed into a lunchbox.