Saturday's dinner on the Operation Transformation meal plan.
Serves 2 (each serving contains approximately 450 kcal)
- 1 red onion
- 2 courgettes
- 1 mild red chilli
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoons rapeseed oil (15g)
- 200g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 ½ teaspoons chilli powder (7.5g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons sground cumin
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml vegetable stock (made from a reduced salt cube)
- 400g tin black beans (you need 240g drained)
- 1 teaspoon honey (5g)
- ½ lime
- small handful fresh coriander leaves (5g)
- salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the onion and cut in half, then finely chop. Trim and dice the courgettes. Cut the chilli in half, then remove the seeds with a teaspoon and finely chop the flesh. Peel the garlic and using a garlic crusher crush the flesh.
- Heat a frying pan with a lid over a medium to high heat. Add the oil and then tip in the onion and courgettes. Sauté for about 6-8 minutes until lightly coloured.
- Stir in the chilli, garlic and frozen sweetcorn with the spices and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until the sweetcorn is tender and piping hot.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and stock and season lightly with salt (optional) and pepper to taste, then simmer for about 5 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened.
- Meanwhile, tip the black beans into a sieve and run under the tap to rinse. Stir into the chilli and cook until piping hot. Add the honey and squeeze in the lime juice, stirring to combine. Divide between bowls. Roughly chop the coriander and scatter on top to serve.
This chilli can be made in advance and put in an airtight container in the fridge within 2 hours of cooking for up to 3 days. Only reheat once in the microwave or in a saucepan over a gentle heat when ready to eat.