Served warm with a swipe of butter, this is a delicious spin on the classic.
- 3 Rashers dry-cured bacon, finely chopped
- 225g self-raising flour
- 100g strong cheese, grated
- 40g butter
- 100ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 190*C / 375*F / Gas Mark 5.
- Lightly Grease a baking tray.
- Fry the bacon on a dry, hot pan.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and add the grated cheese and bacon.
- Melt the butter and add to the buttermilk. Pour into the flour mix and form a dough by gently mixing. Turn out onto a floured surface and gently shape into a round.
- Cut a cross on top of the bread and transfer it to the greased baking tray.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing and serve with real Irish butter.