As part of the Operation Transformation meal plan.
- 125g frozen or fresh berries (use a mixture or one type)
- 1 mandarin (or 70g tinned in own juice which has been drained)
- 2 small carrots
- 10g baby spinach leaves
- 60g Greek-style natural yoghurt (3% fat)
- 90ml almond milk (6 tablespoon.)
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds (10g)
- large handful of ice cubes
- If using a fresh mandarin peel off the skin and separate into segments. Add the mandarin to the berries.
- Peel the carrots and roughly chop – you'll need 80g in total and add to the fruit with the spinach, yoghurt, almond milk and chia seeds. Add the ice and blend in bursts until smooth. Pour into a tall glass to serve.
If using frozen berries, the FSAI (Food Safety Authority of Ireland) recommends to boil them first in a saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute before draining and using. Then put them into a blender (liquidizer). If you are using fresh berries, then there is no need to cook them first.
Layer up vegetables and fruit in the goblet of your blender and then add in the ice along with almond milk just before blending.