Some things are just meant to be put together, and rich oily salmon with creamy dill and piquant pickle is one such perfect match. If you wanted to mix things up you could try this with hot-smoked mackerel instead.
Equipment: Saute´ pan with lid
- 500g (1lb 2oz) new potatoes
- 20g (3⁄4oz) unsalted butter
- small bunch of dill, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cucumber
- 8–10 radishes
- 200g (7oz) hot smoked salmon
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp creamy horseradish
- 2 tbsp half-fat cre`me frai^che
- good squeeze of lemon juice
- 1–2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, blitz the cauliflower until it is riced and tip into a bowl. Add the mushrooms to the food processor and pulse these too until they are chopped small.
- Heat the oil in a large saute´ pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes over a medium heat until soft, then add the garlic, chilli flakes and rosemary and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower and mushrooms, season well with salt and pepper and fry over a high heat for 6–7 minutes. Add the tomato pure´e and cook for a few more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 250ml (1 cup) of the water.
- Add the pasta to the cauli ower pan and toss together with half the Parmesan for 2–3 minutes, loosen with the reserved pasta cooking water as needed.
- Serve with the rest of the Parmesan scattered over the top.