You really won't miss the meat at all in this filling bowl of super-tender aubergines in a rich sticky sauce.
- 2 large aubergines, sliced into fingers about 2cm (¾ in) thick
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Thai red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 100ml (½ cup) reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300g (10oz) jasmine rice
- juice of 1 lime
- handful of small young mint leaves
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- Put the aubergines into a dish. Use a fork to blend the garlic, chillies, soy sauce, sugar, fish sauce and half the oil together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Pour this over the aubergine fingers to coat them and leave to marinate (if you have the time) for at least 10 minutes.
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Remove the aubergine fingers from the marinade and slowly fry for 10 minutes over a medium heat until very tender and browned.
- Add the rest of marinade to the pan and cook until sticky. Add the lime juice to taste.
- Spoon the rice into bowls and top with the sticky aubergine. Scatter with the mint leaves and peanuts and serve.