Turkey meat is a great low-fat alternative to pork or lamb when it comes to meatballs and is the perfect partner for the Asian flavours in this recipe.
Equipment: Non-stick sauté pan with lid
- 400g (14oz) turkey mince
- 1 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2cm (¾in) piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- sunflower oil, for frying
- 100g (3½oz) vermicelli rice noodles
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shaved into ribbons
- 1 large courgette, shaved into ribbons
- 3 spring onions, finely shredded
- Mix the turkey mince with 1 teaspoon each of soy and hoisin sauce. Add the ginger and plenty of seasoning and shape into 12 meatballs.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick sauté pan and fry the meatballs all over for about 5 minutes, until golden. Add the rest of the soy and hoisin and a little splash of water.
- Cover and steam for 1–2 minutes, then remove the lid and bubble until you have a sticky glaze.
- Meanwhile, soak the noodles in boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain and cool under cold running water. Tip into a bowl and toss with the sesame oil.
- Mix the rice vinegar with the carrots and courgette, then toss with the noodles. Serve the noodles with the sticky meatballs, scattered with the spring onions.