This warming curry-style soup is packed with hearty goodness and velvety sweet coconut.
Equipment: Large saucepan, hand-held stick blender or food processor
Serves: 6, or 4 generously
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes, plus extra to garnish
- 600g (1lb 5oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 250g (9oz) yellow split peas
- 1 x 400ml (14fl oz) tin reduced fat coconut milk
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock, plus more if needed
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and allow to soften over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the ground coriander, cumin seeds and chilli flakes and fry for about 1 minute before adding the sweet potatoes and the split peas.
- Pour over the coconut milk and stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes until tender.
- Use a hand-held stick blender or food processor to blitz until smooth, adding more stock if needed. Garnish with a scattering of chilli flakes and serve.