Kevin Dundon's garlic roast potatoes - just in time for Christmas.
Serves: 4 – 6
- 675 g/1 ½ lb floury potatoes cut into large even-sized chunks (preferably all similar in size)
- 150g duck fat
- 2 tbsp. roasted garlic
- Maldon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Place the potatoes in a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the outsides have just softened. Drain and return to the pan for a minute or 2 to dry out.
- Meanwhile, preheat a roasting tin with a 1cm of duck or goose fat for a few minutes until just smoking.
- Put the lid back on the potatoes and shake vigorously to break up and soften the edges or roughly prod the outside of the potatoes with a fork.
- Carefully tip them into the hot oil, basting the tops. Add the roasted garlic and season well.
- Place the roasting tin with the potatoes back in the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes, turning the potatoes over half-way, until crispy around the edges and golden brown.
- To serve, tip the roast potatoes into a warmed serving dish