A festive recipe from Neven's Waterford Christmas.
- 450 g (1lb) carrots
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 star anise
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley or chives to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F), Gas mark 4. Peel the carrots and then cut into even-sized batons. Place the carrots in a roasting tray lined with parchment paper.
- Scatter over the rosemary and star anise. Drizzle over the maple syrup followed by two tablespoons of water. Season with salt & pepper.
- Season to taste, then fold in the sides of the parcel to enclose the root vegetables by bringing up the sides, then folding over and twisting the edges.
- Roast for 1 hour until the carrots are meltingly tender and slightly caramelised. To serve, either open the parcel at the table or carefully pour the carrots and all of their juices into a nice big warmed dish.
- Sprinkle with chopped herbs such as parsley or chives