Who feels like chicken tonight?
Prep Time: Approx 30 mins plus marinating
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sinew removed & cut into chunks
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 350g of plain flour
- 250 ml of buttermilk
Mustard Mayo Dip:
- 110g good quality mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat your deep fat frier to 170oC. Don't worry if you don’t have a frier as you can do this in a pan with a little oil or even bake them in an oven set at 170oC.
- Pour the buttermilk over the chicken pieces and marinate for at least 2 hours. If you can leave it overnight, even better.
- Toast the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, celery salt, paprika & thyme in a pan over a low heat. This will release all the flavours from the spices.
- Add the toasted spice mix to your flour and combine together.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and toss in the spiced flour. For a better crispier result place the chicken back into the buttermilk and coat again in the flour.
- Carefully place the chicken pieces into the fat frier and cook until crisp, golden & cooked through.
- Drain on kitchen paper and then place 2 pieces of chicken per person onto a wooden skewer and serve with the mustard mayonnaise as a dip. If you don’t have wooden skewers just serve them as they are and they’re perfect finger food.
- For the mustard mayonaisse, mix everything together in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and store in your fridge until ready to serve.