Also called Thai basil chicken, this is one of the most delicious Thai dishes going. Thai basil is pretty widely available now, not only from Asian shops but online and in many big supermarkets. I like to serve mine with some broccoli for an extra hit of green.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Thai red chillies, finely chopped
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 250g (9oz) pack pre-cooked jasmine rice
- large bunch of Thai basil
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onions for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 1–2 minutes more.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the chicken as finely as possible. Add the chicken to the pan and increase the heat to brown the chicken all over. Add soy, fish and oyster sauces and cook until the chicken is cooked through andglazed in the sauce. Meanwhile, heat the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir through the Thai basil. Serve with the jasmine rice and steamed tenderstem broccoli, if liked.