Creme Brûlée with Poached Apple Compote from Neven Maguire's Spanish Food Trail.
For The Brûlée:
- 500ml milk
- 800ml cream
- 1 vanilla pod, scraped out, skin retained
- 8 egg yolks
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon powder
- 50g cassonade sugar or cane sugar
For The Apple Compote:
- 2 Apples, diced
- 500ml ice cider or apple juice
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Vanilla Ice-Cream
- Dried Apple Crisps
Preheat the oven to 115⁰C (240⁰F/Gas Mark 1/4)
To Make The Poached Apple Compote:
- In a medium size saucepan place the diced apple, ice cider/apple juice, caster sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to low- medium heat and allow to simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- When the diced apple is soft, switch off and allow to cool.
To Make The Brûlée:
- Place the milk, cream and scraped out vanilla pod skin in a medium pot. Simmer gently until the mixture just comes to the boil.
- Meanwhile, place the egg yolks in a large bowl with the caster sugar and vanilla pod seeds. Beat together lightly, until combined.
- Slowly pour the hot milk and cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously. Pass through a sieve into a clean bowl.
- Place the 8/10 x 200ml (7fl oz) ramekins on high sided baking tray(s). Place a spoon of the prepared apple compote in the base of each ramekin.
- Set the remaining apple aside for serving. Using a ladle, carefully divide the brûlée mixture into the ramekins.
- Fill the tray with enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the brûlée dishes.
- Carefully transfer to the oven to bake for 45-50 minutes or until just set but still a slight wobble in the middle. Remove from the oven and transfer to the fridge and allow to set for at least 6 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Sprinkle each of the brûlée's with an even layer of cassonade or cane sugar.
- Using a blowtorch to melt and glaze the sugar until golden brown and caramelised.
- Arrange on serving plates and spoon the apple compote into a small dish to the side.
- Add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and decorate with dried apple crisp or mint leaves.