A perfect treat for these chillier days, ideal with a big pot of tea.
For the Cake
- 100ml rapeseed oil
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 150g Greek style yoghurt
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g fresh blackberries
For the Blackberry compote
- 250g fresh blackberries
- 1 large orange zest & juice
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 2 tbsp water
For the Cream
- 300ml single cream
- 100g Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
For the cake
- Line, grease & flour a 20cm loose bottom cake tin.
- In a bowl, whisk the rapeseed oil and caster sugar until combined.
- Add one egg at a time, whisk.
- Fold in the sieved flour and combine.
- Finally add the lemon zest, vanilla, yoghurt and fold in.
- Scrape this batter into the prepared tin and scatter the fresh blackberries over the top.
- Place in the center of a preheated oven set at 180°C (160°C fan / Gas 4) and bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.
For the blackberry compote
- Place 150g of the blackberries into a pan with the orange juice, zest, icing sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice and water.
- Heat this until the blackberries soften and the liquid thickens slightly.
- At this point add the remaining berries and chill until needed.
For the cream topping
- Simply whisk the cream, yoghurt and icing sugar until thick. Keep chilled until needed.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the berry compote into the whisked cream and gently fold to create a marble/ripple effect.
- Spoon this on top of the cooled cake and top with the remaining berry compote and enjoy!