Potato and smoked bacon soup from Eunice Power.
- 50g diced bacon
- A scant tablespoon of olive oil
- 50g butter
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 850mls vegetable stock
- 125ml milk
- A handful of parsley leaves shredded
- Tablespoon of toasted hazelnuts chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan and add the smoked bacon, cook until the fat is golden and remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the butter to the pan, when it starts to foam add the onion and potatoes and stir until coated then reduce the temperature to very low heat and cook for about ten minutes stirring occasionally.
- Then, once the vegetables are soft, add the stock and bring to a simmer and cook for a further 10 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Puree the soup with a hand blender then add the milk, season to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle the smoked bacon on top with some shredded parsley and hazelnuts.