Chicken, Cider, Chorizo Bean Casserole with Braised Rice.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 6 chicken thighs, skin removed & bone in
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g raw chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 200ml dry cider
- 350ml chicken stock or beef stock??
- 300g white beans (cooked in salted boiling water)
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 50g butter
- 25g red onion (finely diced)
- 100g long grain rice
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Flat-leaf Parsley (chopped)
- In a medium size frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and butter. Season the chicken thighs with salt and using a thongs gently place the chicken thighs on the pan season side down.
- Season the other side of the chicken with salt and black pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes to seal in the chicken and turn over.
- To make the casserole, heat the oil in a heavy-based pot. Add in the onion, garlic and chorizo. Allow the onions to soften and the oil from the chorizo to colour the onion. Add in the picked thyme leaves.
- Add in the sliced peppers and stir to combine and coat in the oil. Add in the dry cider, stock and bring to the boil.
- Gently add in the sealed chicken thighs into the casserole followed by the juices from the pan. Add in the par-cooked white beans and stir through. Place the lid on the pot and allow to simmer for 40-45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through stirring occasionally.
- After 40-45 minutes, the chicken should be cooked, when the point of a knife is inserted it should be tender. Add in the chopped flat-leaf parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Place 25g of butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened but not coloured. Add the in rice. Add twice the amount of stock to rice.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish, season and cover with buttered parchment paper and tinfoil.
- Place in the oven for approximately 18-20 minutes until cooked. Remove rice from oven. Stir in the herbs. Serve immediately.