The chips in this recipe are deep fried pieces of batter, strewn from a fork, seasoned and scattered over this very simple salad.
- 1 butterleaf lettuce, washed
- Half red onion finely sliced
- Half tablespoon Crème Fraiche
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 8 oz poached cod or salmon, flaked
For the batter
- Whisk 4 tablespoons of self-raising flour with some beer until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Add a pinch of salt then deep fry carefully in hot oil when needed
For the salad:
- Mix the red wine vinegar, Crème Fraiche and olive oil together.
- Turn gently with the lettuce and red onion.
- Season and arrange on plates.
- Scatter the cod and batter bits on top and, if you like, some chopped boiled egg and capers.