This is a wonderful cake recipe. Really simple to make, a classic all in one recipe. The yeasty aroma of the cake whilst cooking is mouth watering.
For the Cake
- 250 mls guinness
- 250 g butter – diced
- 75 g cocoa powder
- 400 g caster sugar
- 150 g sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 275 g plain flour
- 2½ teaspoons bread soda
For the Topping
- 300 g cream cheese
- 150 g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 125 ml cream
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/160°C Fan/350ºF, and butter and line a 23cm / 9-inch springform tin.
- Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan, add the diced butter and heat until the butter's melted, at which time you should whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
- Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the saucepan and finally whisk in the flour and bread soda.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack.
- When the cake's cold, sit it on a flat platter or cake stand and get on with the icing.
- Lightly whip the cream cheese and cream until smooth, sieve over the icing sugar and cornflour and then beat to combine until you have a spreadable consistency.
- Ice the top of the black cake so that it resembles the frothy top of Guinness