- 120g soft butter
- 140g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Dash vanilla extract
- 210g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove (optional)
- 2 1/2 apples, peeled & chopped into cubes
- 50g plain flour
- 30g porridge oats
- 50g caster sugar
- 60g butter
- Line the base of a 7 1/2" round loose bottom cake tin. Grease and flour the sides and base of the tin and set aside.
- For the cake, cream the butter and sugar until soft and pale in colour.
- While this is mixing, peel and chop the Granny Smith apples, set aside.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture one by one until combined.
- To this, add the vanilla.
- Sieve the flour, salt, baking powder & ground cloves into the above and mix.
- Finally, fold in the chopped apple cubes.
- Spoon this batter into the prepared cake tin.
- For the crumble topping, simply mix the flour, sugar, porridge oats and butter until a sandy texture is reached.
- Place the crumble mix on top of the cake batter and place in a preheated oven set at 180°C / 160°C fan / Gas 4 and bake for 45/ 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Once the cake is baked, remove and allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing the tin.
- Serve warm with a spoon of semi-whipped cream.