Wade's Mini Fish Cakes, Parsley & Caper Mayo.
Prep/Cooking Time: Approx 50 - 60 mins
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 360g cod, hake or haddock fillet
- 2 bay leaves
- Sprig of thyme
- 3 peppercorns
- 300 mls of milk
- 1 tbspn chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon - keep the lemon for it’s juice for the mayonnaise
- 30ml flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 100g fine breadcrumbs
- Deep fat frier - or if you haven’t got one use oil to shallow fry
Parsley & Caper Mayonnaise:
- 200ml mayonnaise
- 2tbsp capers - rinsed and chopped
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley - finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon - from earlier that we used for the zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
To Make The Fish Cakes:
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling, lightly salted water until tender. Drain and push through a sieve and allow to cool.
- Place the milk, bay leaves, peppercorns and thyme in a pan and bring to a simmer, turn down the heat, add the fish and poach the fish in a for 6-8 mins until just cooked.
- Remove the fish with a slotted spoon and flake it, discarding the skin and the cooking liquid. Allow to cool.
- Mix together the sieved potato, flaked fish, lemon zest and herbs. Season with salt and ground white pepper.
- Once mixed, using your hands shape into approx 16 small balls. Roll each ball in a little flour, then the beaten egg.and then roll in the breadcrumbs to coat completely.
- Place on a tray and cover and leave in the fridge for at least 30 mins. Heat the deep fat frier to 170oC. If you are going to shallow fry heat your pan and oil.
- Fry the fish cakes in batches in hot oil for 3-4 mins until crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain well on kitchen paper. Serve with the mayonnaise as a dip and lemon wedges on the side.
- A nice dressed salad or even chips would go really well with this and it's a recipe for a dish all the family can tuck in to.
To Make The Mayo:
- Mix the mayonnaise with the capers, parsley, and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Spoon into a bowl and place in the fridge until ready to serve.