This recipe is a weekend option for those following the Operation Transformation meal plan.
Serves 1 (contains approx 540 kcal)
- 1 egg
- 1 back bacon rasher
- 1 little Gem lettuce
- 10 mixed cherry tomatoes
- ¼ red onion
- ¼ ripe avocado (50g)
- 100g cooked chicken
- 25g cheese (Aoife recommends blue but feta or goat’s would also work well)
- 1 tbsp ranch dressing (shop-bought or use Aoife’s – see recipe link)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, then gently lower in the egg and cook for 6 minutes to soft-boil, give it another 6 minutes if you prefer your egg more hard-boiled. Drain and rinse under cold running water to cool, then peel off the skin. Cut the egg in half and set aside until needed.
- Preheat the grill to medium and cook the rasher for a minute or two on each side until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper, then snip into small pieces with scissors, discarding any fat.
- Remove the outer leaves from the little Gem lettuce and discard, then shred the remaining leaves and place in a bowl. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and scatter on top.
- Thinly slice the red onion and cut the avocado into dice, discarding the skin. Scatter both over the salad with the snipped bacon.
- Slice or dice the chicken and arrange on the salad with the hard-boiled egg halves. Season lightly with salt, if using and add plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Crumble the cheese on top and drizzle over the ranch dressing to serve.
Make the salad and make in a suitable airtight container, then tuck a small pot of the dressing alongside if transporting and remember to bring a fork.