Serves 1 (contains approx 400 kcal)
- 1 round wholemeal pitta bread
- 80g tin of tuna in spring water
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 scallion
- 1 ripe tomato
- 15g Cheddar cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toast the pitta bread in the toaster for 1 minute until puffed up, then leave until cool enough to handle and split one side open using a sharp knife or scissors.
- Meanwhile, open the can of tuna and drain off the liquid and discard. Put the tuna in a bowl and mix in the mayonnaise. Season lightly with salt, if using and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Trim and thinly slice the scallion. Cut the tomato into slices and arrange in the split open pitta then fill with the tuna mixture and the scallion. Using a box grater, grate the cheese and then sprinkle on top.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add the filled pitta bread to it. Cook for 1 minute on each side until the cheese has melted. Cut in half and arrange on a plate to serve.
Once the pitta bread is made, wrap in greaseproof paper and then tin foil and pack in a suitable container for a lunchbox. If you want to make it into a melt unwrap the tin foil and cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute once or use a sandwich maker if you have access to one.