For the cake:
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 170g demerara sugar
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 225ml olive oil
For the toffee icing:
- 220g demerara sugar
- 60g butter
- 60ml milk
- 240g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- banana chips, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter a 28cm springform tin and dust with flour or demerara sugar (see note above).
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and sugar in an electric mixer on high until thickened and light in colour. Fold in the mashed banana and vanilla. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while still mixing.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed, taking care not to over mix. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, until golden. Cool fully on a rack before icing.
- To make the icing, place the sugar, butter, and milk into a pan over a high heat. Stir everything well and bring to the boil. Keep stirring and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and beat in half of the icing sugar. Allow to cool slightly, then add the vanilla and the rest of the sugar. Beat well until it thickens.
- Spread the icing over the cake straightaway as the icing will harden slightly. Top with banana chips.