Neven's Crispy Whiting, Apple & Mango and Curried Mayonnaise
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp cream
- juice of 1 lemon
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 700g whiting fillets, skinned
For The Curried Mayonnaise
- 120ml (4fl oz) mayonnaise (home-made or shop-bought)
- 2 tsp mild curry paste
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 small apple, cut into strips
- Salad leaves to serve
- To make the curried mayonnaise, place the mayonnaise in a bowl and beat in the curry paste and lime juice. Season to taste, then cover with cling film and chill until needed.
- Whisk the egg whites, cream and lemon juice together in a shallow bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, place the flour, sesame seeds, chilli powder and curry powder. Stir until well combined.
- Cut the whiting into small slices on the diagonal and dip into the egg mixture, making sure it is well coated and then gently shaking off any excess. Dip the fish into the spiced flour until evenly coated.
- Deep-fry the fish in a wok or a deep fat fryer for about 2 minutes or until golden and crispy. You may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your wok.
- Remove from the oil and drain well on kitchen paper. Arrange the crispy whiting in the centre of warmed plates.
- Add a dollop of the curried mayonnaise and garnish each plate with apple & mango salsa. Serve at once with a separate bowl of salad.
- To serve up place dots of curried mayonnaise on the plate, place the crispy whiting on top follow by the mango strip and apple strips. Serve with salad leaves.