A recipe inspired by Mayo during Neven's Irish Food Trails.
- 550g salmon fillet, skinned and boned (well chilled)
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 heaped tbsp Dijon mustard or wasabi paste
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp seasoned flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Little Gem lettuce, to serve
- fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
Roasted red pepper salsa:
- 2 roasted red peppers, finely diced (from a jar is fine)
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon & juice
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp shredded fresh basil
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toasted sourdough to serve
Baby gem lettuce to serve
- Using a large sharp knife, cut away any brown bits from the salmon fillet, then finely chop.
- Place in a bowl, then stir in the spring onions, mustard and sesame seeds. Season to taste.
- Divide into 4 portions then, using slightly wetted hands, shape into patties. Dust the patties in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, make the roasted red pepper salsa. Place the red peppers in a bowl and stir in the tomatoes, lemon rind.
- In a small frying pan heat some rapeseed oil, add in the salsa to warm through. Add in the white wine vinegar, sugar, salt and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Season to taste and switch off. Add in the coriander and basil.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil to the frying pan and then add the salmon burgers.
- Cook for 3–4 minutes on each side, until lightly golden but still slightly pink in the centre. Be careful not to overcook them or they’ll quickly become dry. Set aside.
- To serve, arrange on warmed plates and top with Little Gem lettuce leaves, the coriander sprigs, and the burgers. Spoon over the roasted red pepper salsa.