Use up your scraps of almond paste on these Marzipan Dates.
- 28 fresh dates
- 110g (4oz) almond paste or marzipan (see recipe)
- castor sugar
- 110g (4oz) ground almonds
- 100g (3 1/2oz) castor sugar
- 1/2 small egg
- a drop of pure almond extract
- 1/4 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- Split one side of the date and remove the stone. Roll a little piece of marzipan into an oblong shape so that it will fit neatly into the opening.
- Smooth the top and roll the stuffed date in castor sugar.
- Repeat the procedure until all the dates and marzipan are used up.
- Serve as a petit four or as part of a selection of homemade sweets.
- Sieve the castor sugar and mix with the ground almonds.
- Beat the egg, add the whiskey and 1 drop of pure almond extract, then add to the other ingredients and mix to a stiff paste. (You may not need all of the egg).
- Sprinkle the work top with icing sugar, turn out the almond paste and work lightly until smooth.
Medjool Dates with Pistachio and Marzipan
Dip the top of the stuffed date in finely chopped unsalted pistachio nuts.
Serve as above
Medjool Dates with Walnuts
Stone the dates but keep attached, slip a walnut into each and press closed.
Medjool Dates with Candied Orange Peel
Stone the dates but keep attached, slip a sliver of candied orange peel (see recipe) into each and press closed.
Medjool Dates with Candied Pecan Nut
Stone the dates but keep attached, slip a candied pecan nut into each and press closed.