Great for canapés or little tartlets.
- 110g (4oz) filo pastry
- 110g (4oz) melted butter
- mini muffin tins (6cm/2 1/2 inch in size), bun trays or muffin trays – vary the size to fit the tray
- Ardsallagh Goats Cheese and Candied Kumquat (see recipe)
- Smoked Salmon with Cream Cheese and Dill (see recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Brush one sheet of filo pastry with the melted butter. Cut into 6cm (2 1/2 inch) squares (4 per sheet) for mini muffin tins (10-15cm (4–6 inch) for large muffin tins) – adjust the size to fit your tartlet trays or mini muffins tins.
- Butter the muffin tins and line each one with 3 buttered filo pastry squares placed at slightly different angles. (It is easier to assemble before pressing into the tin).
- Repeat until all the filo pastry has been used. Bake to a rich golden brown, 6-8 minutes. Carefully remove the tartlets from the tins and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Note: These tartlets can be baked a few days in advance. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keep the filo pastry covered with a damp cloth until ready to use otherwise it will become dry, brittle and unusable. Use a wide pastry brush.