Makes 50 approximately
- 225g (8oz) puff pastry - chilled
- egg wash made from 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 24 anchovies approximately
- Cut the pastry into 2 equal halves. Roll each piece out into 2 pieces measuring 10cm (4 inches) wide and 40.5cm (16 inches) long - use a ruler to measure the pastry.
- Brush one piece of the pastry with egg wash and put 3 rows of anchovies onto the pastry - leaving a gap of 1cm (1/2 inch) at each edge and 1cm (1/2 inch) between the rows of anchovies.
- Place the second layer of pastry exactly on top of the first layer and seal tightly with your fingers. Brush the surface with the egg wash and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Place the pastry on a tray and refrigerate until quite chilled. When chilled cut the pastry crossways into one-third strips.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook in a hot oven 220°C\425°F\Gas Mark 7 for 8-10 minutes till golden brown and crisp.