The Mexican melted cheese sandwich is another excellent way to use up little scraps of leftover turkey, ham and other poultry. Both children and adults will gobble these up - no pun intended!
- 12 x 15-18cm (6-7 inch) corn or flour tortillas
- 175-225g (6-9oz) grated Mozzarella and mature Cheddar cheese, mixed
- 3-6 fresh green chillies
- 6 tablespoons chopped scallions, use both green and white parts
- Guacamole (see recipe)
- Pico de Gallo (Tomato and Chilli Salsa) (see recipe)
The avocado must be really ripe for guacamole.
- 1 ripe avocado (Hass if available)
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander or flat parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Put a non-stick pan on medium heat, place a tortilla on the pan, sprinkle with 25-35g (1-1 1/2oz) of grated cheese, some shredded meat, a few slices of thinly sliced chilli and some chopped scallions.
- Top with another tortilla, when the cheese begins to melt, quickly flip over and cook for a further minute or so.
- Cut into quarters or sixths and serve immediately with a blob of Guacamole and Tomato Salsa.
- Scoop out the flesh from the avocado. Mash with a fork or in a pestle and mortar, add lime juice, olive oil, chopped coriander, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- Otherwise, cover the surface of the guacamole with a sheet of plastic to exclude the air. Cover and keep cool until needed.
- A little finely diced chilli or tomato may be added to the guacamole.