Wade Murphy's Bacon, Sage & Chestnut Roasted Brussel Sprouts.
- 650g Brussel sprouts - outer leaves removes & halved
- 175g smoked bacon - cut into strips
- 1 orange zested
- 25g salted butter
- 125g cooked chestnuts - chopped
- Sprig sage - chopped
- sprig thyme - chopped
- 1/2 onion - finely sliced
- 1/2 clove garlic - chopped
- 30 mls - dry white wine
- 50 mls chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 190oC.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the halved sprouts for 1 and 1/2 minutes, then plunge straight into ice water. Once cool, drain, pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Fry the smoked bacon, garlic & sliced onion in a large non-stick frying pan for a few minutes until crisp. Remove and set aside. But the butter into the pan and turn up the heat.
- Add the sprouts cut-side down and pan-fry for a couple of minutes until nice and browned. Add the white wine and reduce.
- Once reduced, add the chicken stock, thyme, sage and the cooked bacon and onion mix. Check the seasoning.
- Place in the hot oven for 6-7 minutes and remove. Mix in the chopped chestnuts and place in your serving dish.
- Finish with the orange zest and serve.
Note: Anice little touch is to grate some cooked chestnuts over the finished sprouts too.