Karen Coakley's Parmesan & Rosemary Chicken Goujons with a Roast Red Pepper Mayo
- 4 or 5 chicken fillets, sliced into strips
- 1 packet of panko or regular breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 15g of grated parmesan
- 2 eggs
- Plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 red pepper
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- Turn the oven to a medium heat. When the oven is hot enough coat the red pepper with oil and a little salt, place on a baking tray and put it in the oven to cook until the skin is dark and blistered.
- Remove it from the oven and place it in a bowl, cover it with cling film and allow it to cool.
- Next, place the flour on a plate and season well with salt and pepper. Beat the egg in another bowl.
- Place the breadcrumbs into a third bowl and add the chopped rosemary and parmesan before seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Take a strip of chicken at a time and toss it in the flour, then the egg (allowing the excess egg to drip off) and then finally the breadcrumbs. Put onto a plate and continue to do this until all the chicken has been used. You may need to use more flour or another egg as you’re going along. Cover the plate with cling film and chill for roughly an hour. These also freeze well.
- While the chicken is chilling cut the pepper in half and remove the seeds. Remove the charred skin by rubbing it gently off. You can do it under a running tap. Pat the pepper dry, chop it and place it into a bowl with the mayonnaise, season with salt and pepper and blitz it with a soup gun.
- When you’re ready to cook the chicken heat the Deep Fryer to 180 degrees. When hot enough put a few chicken pieces at a time in the basket and deep fry until golden and cooked thoroughly on the inside. You will have to fry in batches but you can keep them warm in the oven.
- Serve with the red pepper mayo.