Leave out the turkey and ham and you've got the most delicious winter coleslaw you've ever tasted.
This dish would be perfect to serve to a vegetarian with cold cuts on the side for anyone who fancied meat. This is guaranteed to liven up any gathering and is ideal to make in advance and it travel wells if you’re bringing a dish to someone’s house.
- 100g (4oz) pecan nuts
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 small Savoy cabbage, outer leaves discarded or used in another dish
- 1 small red cabbage, trimmed, cored and finely shredded
- 1 large firm, ripe mango, peeled, finely diced and stone discarded
- 1 mild fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 15g (½oz) fresh mint, leaves torn
- 15g (½oz) fresh coriander, leaves roughly chopped
- 225g (8oz) leftover cooked turkey, shredded
- 175g (6oz) leftover cooked ham, shredded sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing:
- juice of 3 limes
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- First, make the dressing. Put the lime juice in a small pan with the lemongrass, maple syrup, soy sauce and chilli flakes and reduce over a high heat for a few minutes, until thick and syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then strain into a bowl to remove the lemongrass pieces. Whisk in the rapeseed and toasted sesame oil to form a thick emulsion. Set aside until needed.
- To caramelise the pecans, put them in a frying pan and dry roast for a few minutes over a medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until they are nicely toasted.
- Add the butter, tossing to coat as soon as it has melted. Sprinkle over the sugar and chilli flakes with a good pinch of salt. Continue to toss the nuts in the pan as the sugar caramelises.
- Tip them out onto a sheet of non-stick baking paper, quickly spread them out and leave to cool completely, then roughly chop.
- Mix the Savoy and red cabbage in a large bowl with the dressing. Fold in the mango and chilli with the herbs.
- Finally, fold in the turkey and ham with the caramelised nuts and season to taste. Spread out on a large platter to serve.