Neven Maguire's Duck Confit with Crispy Veg from Neven's Kilkenny Christmas.
- 4 Confit Duck Legs
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 parsnip peeled
- 1 mango, sliced
- 1 baby gem lettuce
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 50ml Highbank Orchard Syrup
- 1 tbsp blamsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp root ginger, grated
- 25ml rapeseed oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the crispy vegetables, heat a deep-fat fryer filled with rapeseed oil to 170°C (340°F). If you don’t have a deep-fat fryer, heat a pot of oil, using a herb place it into the oil and it begins to crackle with the oil is heated enough.
- Using a potato peeler, shave the carrot and parsnip into thin strips or ribbons. Working in batches, deep-fry the vegetable strips for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until crisp and golden brown, moving during frying. Remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper.
- Preheat the oven 170°C (340°F).
- To heat the confit duck legs, heat a medium frying pan with a little rapeseed oil.
- Add the confit duck legs skin side down for 2-3 minutes and turn over to the flesh side for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the duck legs to an ovenproof dish lined with parchment paper and place in the oven for approximately 8 minutes to heat through.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together. Set aside until required.
- To serve, tear the baby gem lettuce and arrange on a plate followed by the sliced mango. Place the warmed duck leg on top. Sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds. Spoon over the dressing, and scatter the crispy fried vegetables.