Although grain bowls have had a bit of a bad rap for being a bit faddy, they are quick to make and tasty too. I treat this type of lunch or dinner as an opportunity for a fridge clear-out and anything goes here - roast vegetables, leftover meat, pickled cucumber - basically whatever takes your fancy.
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 x 250 g packets of ready cooked mixed grains or grains and lentils
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Half a red cabbage,
- finely shredded
- Handful of wild rocket
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp dukkah
- For the dressing
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 garlic clove
- 3–4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Small handful of fresh chives, snipped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Bring a saucepan with 5–7cm of water to the boil and add the turmeric and vinegar, then reduce to a very gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat up the grains according to the packet instructions and divide it between 4 bowls. Top with the avocado, red cabbage and rocket leaves.
- Make the dressing: blend the white wine vinegar, lime juice, garlic and seasoning together in a bowl, then gradually whisk in the oil and stir in the chives. Drizzle all over the grains, avocado and cabbage.
- Poach the eggs in the saucepan of simmering water for 2–3 minutes until set but still soft. Drain and place on top of the dressed bowl. Sprinkle with the dukkah and serve straight away.