A one-pot take on an American childhood classic that delivers on cheesy, creamy indulgence. I've added cauliflower, not as a vague attempt at making this feel somewhat healthy, but simply because it works! Think of this as a cauliflower cheese meets mac & cheese in a glorious one-pot hybrid!
- 1.4 litres full-fat milk
- 350 g macaroni
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 150 g mature Cheddar, grated
- 125 g grated mozzarella
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Put the milk and macaroni into a shallow casserole dish and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the cauliflower and cook for a further 5 minutes until both cauliflower and pasta are tender and the sauce is thickened, reduced and coating the pasta.
- Add the butter, cheeses and mustard and cook, stirring, over a low heat until the cheese has melted. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high.
- Put the casserole under the hot grill to brown all over then serve straight away.