Kevin Dundon brings his Salmon & Kale Pie to Today with Maura and Dáithí.
Serves 4-6 people
- 1tbsp Olive oil
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 100g smoked salmon, diced
- 400g salmon, poached, cut into bite-size pieces
- 400g kale leaves
- 3 tbsp creme fraiche
- 2 eggsSalt and Pepper
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry
- 1 egg yolk + milk for egg wash
- Drizzle some oil into a large pan over a medium heat and add the chopped shallots, garlic and the diced smoked salmon. Season with a little pepper and cook until the shallots are softened.
- Next, add the poached salmon, and kale and cook for a further 1-2 minutes then remove the contents of the pan to a bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the two eggs in a bowl with the creme fraiche. Stir into the spinach and salmon mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 7
- Roll the first sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface, ensuring it is large enough to line your pie dish.
- Pour the mixture of salmon, spinach and egg mixture into the pastry-lined pie dish, then roll out the second sheet of puff pastry and place onto the top of the dish. Seal edges of the pie, then brush with some egg wash.
- Place in a preheated oven for 35 minutes, and the pastry is a golden brown colour.