Lina Gautam's Chicken Tikka Masala: Healthy Appetite
- First, use a pestle and mortar to pound 8 cloves of garlic into a rough paste. Add a 2cm piece of ginger and pound again. You will use this for the marinade and the sauce.
- Begin by preparing the marinade for the chicken. Add the natural yoghurt, salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, lemon juice, garam masala, vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of the garlic/ginger mix to a bowl and mix well. Add the chicken breast pieces to the marinade and stir until all the pieces are well coated.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 1 hour. Once marinated spread the chicken pieces out on a roasting tray along with the sweet potato. Place under the grill until cooked through and until the chicken is slightly charred.
- While the chicken is cooking, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the cumin seeds, fenugreek leaves, salt, onion and sugar. Cook until onions are soft. Next add the tomatoes, garam masala and the remaining garlic & ginger mixture. Simmer on a low heat for a few minutes.
- Remove the chicken and sweet potato from the grill. Add the sweet potato to the sauce, stir to combine and simmer for 6-7 minutes. Add approximately 100ml water and stir.
- Transfer the sauce to the blender, add the pre-soaked cashew nuts and blend until sauce is smooth, adding more water if needed. Return to the pot. Mix the flour with the yoghurt and add to the sauce. Add a drop of orange food colouring (optional).
- Add the chicken to the sauce, stir and leave simmering on a low heat. Add some water if the sauce is too thick.
- Meanwhile, add all the ingredients for the rice to a saucepan and boil until cooked. Remove the bouquet garni and strain the rice.
- Serve the curry with the rice and garnish with fresh coriander.
Dietitian’s Tip! Add a side of fresh vegetables for a vitamin boost.