Paul McDonald from Bastion's Soring Barley Risotto.
- Morel mushroom
- Hegarty’s cheddar
- 80g cooked barley
- 120g onion stock or veg stock
- 20g onion puree( optional)
- 20g butter
- 5/6 Pickled onion cups
- Tablespoon chopped parsley
- Cheddar cheese shavings
- 3 Balanced asparagus spear
- 3 morels or any other mushroom
- Add a little butter and oil to the pan when foaming add the chopped morels, allow cook until wilted.
- Add barley and stock to the pot, reduce down until almost all gone.
- Add onion purée (if using) and butter. Stir with wooden spoon until comes together and is a risotto consistency.
- Add chopped parsley and check seasoning is to taste, add asparagus
- Pour onto a plate and finish with some pickled onion cups, Hegarty’s cheddar shavings, and a little parsley
Barley is a lot more forgiving than rice so much easier to make a risotto from with rice you have seconds between perfect and poor with barley you can have lots of time.