Kevin Dundon's Cajun Bean & Chicken Chilli is mouth-wateringly good.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 sweet Ramiro peppers or red peppers, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp. Cajun spices
- 500g chicken breast, sliced
- 2 tins cannellini / black eyed beans, drained and rinsed
- 90g tin sweet corn kernels
- 1 litre chicken stock , warmed
- 1 Lime juice and zest
- 4 tbsp. coriander, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream & Tortillas to serve
- Heat the oil in large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the red onion, peppers and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the cumin, coriander, chilli, dry herbs and Cajun spices and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan on a side dish. Then, in the same pan, over medium heat, add the chicken pieces and sauté, for 5 - 8 minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
- Add back the cooked vegetables and pour the beans, sweet corn, chicken stock and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes. Add the lime juice and zest then check the seasoning. Season with a little salt and pepper if required.
- Ladle into individual bowls and top each serving with a large dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of coriander. Serve with a warmed tortilla.