This week on Neven's Irish Food Trails, our favourite Cavan Chef makes a delicious dish of seared scallops with black pudding.
- 18 large sea scallops, well trimmed and roe removed
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 1 Black Pudding ring, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 Apple, cut into thin sticks
For the cauliflower puree
- 1 small cauliflower
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 100ml (3 1/2fl oz) cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the cauliflower puree, trim the cauliflower into small florets, discarding the leaves and tough stalk. Melt the butter in a pan with a lid and stir in the curry powder.
- Add the florets and cook for 3 minutes until just beginning to soften, stirring regularly.
- Add milk and cream, cover and simmer for another 8 minutes or until the cauliflower is completely soft and the milk mixture is slightly reduced.
- Place in a food processor or use a hand blender and whizz to a smooth puree.
- Pass through a sieve into a bowl. Season to taste and either leave to cool completely and cover with clingfilm in the fridge until needed or if using immediately keep warm.
- To cook the scallops, heat a teaspoon of the oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Quickly season the scallops with some salt, then quickly sear scallops for about 1 minute on each side until golden brown and nicely caramelised.
- They should still be slightly under-cooked in the middle. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan