While on his Irish Food Trails, Chef Neven Maguire makes a delicious dish of Aubergine and Potato Dhansak.
Cooking time: 45-55 mins
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5cm (2in) root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 225g (8oz) waxy potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 75g (3oz) red lentils
- 1 small aubergine, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 200g (7oz) coconut cream
- 900ml (1½ pints) vegetable stock
- 275g (10oz) small cauliflower florets
- 75g (3oz) baby spinach leaves
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, plus extra leaves to garnish
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g/2oz butter
- 25g/1oz red onion (finely diced)
- 100g/4oz basmati ice
- 200ml chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley/coriander (chopped)
Aubergine and Potato Dhansak
- Heat the oil in a large pan set over a medium heat, then add the cloves, cinnamon stick, mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow to sizzle for 20 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned.
- Add the tomatoes, potatoes, lentils, aubergine, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, paprika and chilli powder to the onion mixture.
- Pour in the coconut cream and 600ml (1 pint) of the stock, season to taste and bring slowly to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for 20–25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are quite soft and have almost disintegrated into the sauce and the vegetables are just beginning to soften.
- Add the cauliflower and the remaining stock, cover and simmer for another 15–20 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender.
- Stir the spinach into the curry and cook for 1–2 minutes, until just wilted, then stir in the chopped coriander.
- Arrange the Aubergine and Potato Dhansak on warmed plates with the steamed fragrant rice topped with the sizzling oil. Garnish each plate with a dollop of natural yogurt and the coriander leaves.
- Place 1oz of butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice.
- C/gas 8 for approximately 15 minutes until cooked. Remove rice from oven. Stir in butter and herbs. Serve immediately.Add twice the amount of stock to rice. Season and cover with buttered paper. Bring to the boil. Place in hot oven 230
- To serve arrange rice on the side of plate.