Sunil Ghai of Pickle shares his recipe for a home-style chicken curry with fresh coriander.
- 600 g/1lb 2oz chicken thighs, boneless, cut into 1" dice
- 100 ml/3 ½ fl.oz vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
Spices to pound together in mortar-pestle :
- 6 green cardamom
- 1" Cinnamon stick
- 2 tsps cumin seeds
- 4 cloves
- 250g/9oz onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 ½ tsps red chilli powder
- 1 ½ tsps coriander powder
- 1 ½ tsps turmeric powder
- 100g/3 ½ oz tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste 1 ½ tsps salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsps finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- Heat the oil in a pan,
- Add the pounded spices & bay leaf and stir until the spices crackle & change colour.
- Add the chopped onions & sauté till golden brown, then add the ginger - garlic paste, stir continuously and keep scraping the bottom of the pan to avoid the mix getting burnt.
- Add the powdered spices except for the garam masala; mix quickly, without letting the spices getting burnt at the bottom.
- Add salt, chopped tomatoes & paste and cook over a slow heat, stirring slowly.
- As tomatoes melt to form a sauce, add chicken and cook on slow heat for 20-25 minutes until chicken is almost cooked.
- Sprinkle in garam masala and simmer to finish cooking.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and sprinkle over some finely chopped ginger.