Cannoli Pancakes are a classic Sicilian ricotta filed tubular-shaped pastry treat.
For the filling
- 250g ricotta
- 100ml whipped cream
- 4 tbsp. Siucra icing sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp. Marsala (or sherry)
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 2 tbsp. candied lemon peel
- 80g dark chocolate, chopped
For the pancakes
- 180g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp. Siucra caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 250ml milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp water, if the batter is too thick
- Butter & sunflower oil, for frying
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Melted chocolate, to decorate
To prepare the filling
- Whisk together the ricotta, cream, and Icing Sugar. Add the ground cinnamon, vanilla bean paste, Marsala and lemon zest.
- Lightly fold in the candied lemon peel and chopped chocolate. Spoon into a piping bag without a nozzle and place in the fridge until the pancakes are ready to be assembled.
To make the pancakes
- Place the flour, salt, and Caster Sugar into a bowl.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a jug and then pour it into the flour mix until a thin batter forms.
- Pour this back into the jug as it will be easier to pour into the frying pan and leave the batter to settle for 10 minutes.
- To cook the pancakes, heat the frying pan and add a little butter and oil. Pour some batter into the hot pan and swirl it around to form a circle. The pancakes should be small to represent the size of a cannoli (8-10cm) so choose a small frying pan.
- Cook for about 1½ minutes until golden and then flip or lift over and cook for about another ½ minute.
- Place on a clean plate continuing to make all the batter.
- Place sheets of parchment paper in between the pancakes to prevent them from sticking and allow to cool.
- Pipe the filling lengthways in the cooled pancakes and roll up, place the cannoli pancakes on a serving platter, dust with icing sugar and spoon over melted chocolate.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Siucra