Kevin Dundon's recipe for Smoked Salmon Potato Cakes with Poached Egg
- 450g potatoes, well scrubbed
- 100g smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 eggs (1 yolk + 2 wholes)
- 25g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 50g breadcrumbs (leftovers)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
To serve –optional:
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 80g salad leaves
- Cover the potatoes with cold water in a pan and add a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes or until completely tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Drain in a colander and leave to cool completely. When the potatoes have cooled, mash into a bowl.
- In a second bowl, place the smoked salmon and stir in the spring onions. Add the potatoes, an egg yolk and sprinkle in the flour. Season generously and mix until just combined.
- Divide the potato mixture into four and shape into patties. Beat the 2 egg in a shallow dish and place the breadcrumbs in another dish.
- Dust the potato cakes in flour, then in some beaten egg and then in breadcrumbs then place on a flat plate and chill for 1 hour.
- Warm the oil and butter in a large frying pan, over medium-low heat and add the potato cakes. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, the outside should be golden.
- Meanwhile, toss the salad leaves in a bowl with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- When the potatoes are ready, poached the eggs in simmering water with a drop of vinegar for 2-3 minutes and serve immediately with the dressed leaves.
- Enjoy while hot!