It is day 5 of December which means we are well on our way to a delicious Christmas! Every day this month, we will share some of our most Christmassy and festive recipes such as Amelda's perfect sausage rolls.
Makes 16 small sausage
- 500g (18oz) good-quality sausage meat
- 50g (2oz) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 500g (18oz) all-butter puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- plain flour, for dusting
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- tomato ketchup, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/gas mark 6). Line two baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
- To make the filling, put the sausage meat in a bowl and mix with the sun-dried tomatoes, onion, Parmesan and parsley. Season to taste.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface to make a long oblong shape that measures 35cm x 33cm (14in x 13in), then cut the pastry in half again lengthways. Form half of the sausage meat filling into a long log shape that will run the whole length of the pastry, then put it on top of the pastry, making sure it’s approximately 5mm from the edge.
- Break the egg into a bowl and add the milk and a pinch of salt, then lightly beat together to make an egg wash.
- Brush the sides of the pastry with the egg wash, then fold the pastry over to enclose the filling and press down well to seal the edges, either crimping them with your fingers or pressing down with a fork. Repeat with the rest of the pastry and filling.
- Cut each long sausage roll into eight bite-sized pieces, trimming down and discarding the ends. Glaze the sausage rolls with the rest of the egg wash, then sprinkle each one lightly with sesame seeds and arrange on the lined baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes, until cooked through and lightly golden, swapping the baking sheets around on the oven shelves halfway through. Arrange on plates or a large platter and serve hot or cold with tomato ketchup.