Neven's Christmas Menu for 2017 includes Traditional Roast Goose with Honey & Clove Sauce .
- 1 x 4.5kg (10lb) oven-ready goose
- 3 tbsp clear honey
For the honey and clove sauce:
- 225ml (8fl oz) goose stock or beef stock
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tsp whole cloves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F/gas mark 7).
- Remove any surplus fat from the cavity of the goose and spoon the stuffing loosely into the neck end, then fold over the skin and secure the underside with two skewers.
- Tie the bird in a neat shape with string, then sprinkle with salt and put on a large wire rack set in a roasting tin. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Take the goose out of the oven and pour off any excess fat
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4)
- Remove the wire rack and put the goose back in the tin and roast for another hour, again pouring off any excess fat after 30 minutes
- Take the goose out of the oven and pour off any last excess fat, then brush all over with the honey.
- Roast for a final 30 minutes, until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the leg is pierced. A digital thermometer pushed into the breast should read 65–70°C (149–158°F).
- Transfer to a platter and leave to rest for 20 minutes, covered loosely with foil.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, put all the ingredients in a small pan.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened to a sauce consistency that coats the back of a spoon. Season and pass through a fine sieve into a clean pan to reheat gently.
- Carve the goose, stirring any juices into the sauce. Put on warmed plates with some of the stuffing and spoon a little of the honey and clove sauce over.