Neven's Christmas Menu for 2017 includes a beautiful batch of Oat Cookies and Caramelised Walnuts.
Makes: Approx 36
- 275g (10oz) Progress oatlets
- 100g (4oz) plain flour, plus a little extra for dusting
- 75g (3oz) caster sugar
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 225g (8oz) butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp butter
- 100g (4oz) walnut halves
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Blend the oatlets in a food processor until quite fine. Add the flour, caster sugar, bicarbonate of soda and butter and blend again until the dough just comes together
- Divide the dough into three pieces and roll each one into a long sausage shape that is 15cm (6in) long and 4cm (1 1/2in) wide. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 1 hour to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F), Gas mark 6. Using a sharp knife, trim the ends from each cookie roll and cut each one into about 12 cookies, so each one should be about 1cm (1/2in) thick.
- Arrange the oatmeal biscuits well spaced apart place on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until pale golden colour and slightly firm.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a minute, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To serve, put into kilner jars or arrange on a plate.
- To caramelise the walnuts, melt the butter in a frying pan set over a medium-high heat.
- Add the walnuts and toss to coat, then drizzle over the maple syrup and stir for a minute or two, until caramelised.
- Spread on a piece of parchment paper to cool.