It is day 7 of December which means we are well on our way to a delicious Christmas! Every day this month, we will share some of our most Christmassy and festive recipes such as Lina's Aloo (Potato) Dum. It's a great substitution for roast potatoes with your Sunday roast or for Christmas Day!
- 4 - 5 medium sized red potatoes
- 5-6 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- Pinch of Asafetida
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 2 tsp plain masala
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 chopped tomatoes (optional)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon of root ginger crushed
- 1-2 green chillies/ teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Peel wash and cut the potatoes into half/quarter pieces.
- Mix yoghurt, tomatoes, garlic, ginger and spices (plus 2-3 tbsp water if the mix is thick) in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the nigella seeds for 5 seconds
- Add potatoes with turmeric powder, Asafetida and salt
- Cover and cook it on medium heat until the potatoes become golden brown
- Add the mixture from the bowl, cover and cook it for a further 2-3 minutes
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander
- Serve hot with naan or roti